IN CASE A VISITOR ASKS
- Common bird questions and answers ~ June, 2013
- Can birds' feet get frosbite during winter freezes?
~ December, 2011
- When do birds sleep? ~ August, 2009
- What's the difference between a bird call and a bird
song? ~ July,
- When birds sing and call, what are they really saying?
~ April, 2010
- What's the difference between an accipiter and a buteo?
~ July, 2011
- Why do some birds have such dark feathers on their wings
and tails? ~ April,
- What's the difference between a dove and a pigeon?
~ January, 2011
- What is "anting" and why do birds do it? ~
- Will Wood Storks nest this year, and will they be successful?
- Where do Wood Storks go and what do they do when they
don't nest here? ~ May, 2010
- What birds nest in Corkscrew during the summer months
(June-August)? ~ June, 2009
- When will those birds breed, and how soon before we see
chicks? ~ February,
- What are some common hatch and fledge times? ~
- What are the differences between an Anhinga and a Cormorant?
~ March, 2008
- Why do Anhingas spread their wings? ~ January, 2007
- Do female Anhingas also get blue eyes in mating season?
~ April, 2009
- How long before immature Little Blue Herons are blue?
~ April, 2009
- When do juvenile White Ibis become all white?
~ April, 2009
- Why do sapsuckers drill holes in rows? ~ November, 2007
- How big is that bird, and what's its wingspan?
~ ~ January, 2008
Insects & Spiders
- If caterpillars are insects, do they have three body
parts and six legs? ~ February, 2013
- Do butterflies have internal organs like hearts and brains?
~ July, 2012
- What's a fast way to tell if it's a butterfly or a moth?
~ July, 2012
- What do insects do when it rains and where do they go?
~ September, 2009
- Are African (killer) honey bees in Corkscrew? Are they
cause for alarm? ~ December, 2009
- How do fishing spiders, water striders, and other insects
walk on water? ~ October, 2009
- Do all spiders bite? Are they poisonous? ~ December, 2008
Reptiles & Amphibians
- Why do turtles stretch their legs out when they bask?
~ January, 2013
- How can one determine the sex of an alligator?
~ June, 2012
- What do alligators eat? ~ February, 2009
- Are snakes territorial? ~ March, 2011
- How do snakes climb trees? ~ November, 2006
- What happens to snakes, gators and frogs during freezing
temperatures? ~ March, 2010
- What happens to alligators and turtles when the lakes
dry up? ~ April,
- Are there really Florida Panthers in Corkscrew? How many
are there? ~ May,
- What should people do if they see a bobcat or a bear
on the boardwalk? ~ September, 2010
- Why are raccoons active during the day? Are they dangerous?
~ November, 2008
- What left that scat? ~ March, 2007
- What are the shrub-like plants in the wet prairie with
little yellow flowers? ~ June, 2013
- Common plant questions and answers ~ May, 2013
- What are the oldest plants growing in Corkscrew today?
~ March, 2013
- How old are the Slash Pine trees growing around the visitor
center? ~ March,
- Do marshmallows have anything to do with Salt Marsh Mallows?
- Why do some cypress grow needles when they should be
dropping them? ~ January, 2009
- What are cypress knees? ~ September, 2007
- Why are some cypress knees orange on top while others
are brown or gray? ~ October, 2010
- What are the white growths on cypress trees? ~
- What causes peeling or shredded bark on cypress tress?
~ October, 2006
- Can cypress trees grow together? ~ September, 2006
- What makes the slits in Alligator Flag leaves? ~ August, 2006
- What are the red flowers that are growing out from the
sides of trees? ~ May, 2009
- Do scientists classify fungi as plants or animals?
~ June, 2011
- What are the brightly colored splotches on the boardwalk
and trees? ~ May,
- Is the green mat covering the water by the boardwalk
algae? ~ February,
- What vine is blanketing the trees? ~ ~ December, 2007
- What are the growths on bay leaves? ~ October, 2007
- What's the feathery looking plant growing in the wet
prairie? ~ August,
- When is there water here, and how high does it get?
~ September, 2011
- Are the water levels high, average, or low for this time
of year? ~ December,
- Where did the water go, and when will it come back?
~ June, 2008
- Why does the water look dirty? ~ December, 2006
- How do you read the first water gauge? ~ November, 2010
- How do you read the Stevens Gauge? ~ June, 2007
- How long can (fill in the blank)
stay under water? ~ December, 2012
- Why are there metal tubes on the Bunting House bird feeder?
- What's that little house back there behind the gate?
- How much of what can be seen from the observation platform
belongs to Corkscrew? ~ March, 2009
- How does aquatic life reestablish itself after a prolonged
dry period? ~ September,
- What are tussocks, where do they come from, and what
do they do? ~ May,
- Why is it called "Corkscrew"? ~ August, 2007
- What is the boardwalk wood? ~ July, 2007
- Do you feed wildlife? ~ May,
- What's the best time to visit? ~ April, 2007